Monday, February 8, 2010

Took the plunge and hacked my wonderful Nexus

Can't help it but get constantly exposed to the fact that you can get root access on the Nexus. I'm pretty familiar with embedded Linux as i've been playing robotics with Gumstix, RoBoard and Bifferboard so Android on an ARM processor shouldn't be that threatening.

Last week I did the manual upgrade from Google (what's called OTA ERE27 which added multitouch). Today I went ahead and followed the procedure to install custom O/S that is all the rage at the moment. Google are developing Android and giving away the source code. So some people compile that code again and package it into versions of Android that are less restricted than the one that comes precompiled from Google.

1) unlock the bootloader - allowing the loading of alternative ROMs into the flash memory (ie: root access)
2) load a small recovery ROM - which allows backing up the big ROM and performing emergency tasks ( this is like a small emergency boot partition )
3) install alternative Operating System ROM. Everyone loves Cyanogen's ROMs. This modifies and replaces default O/S files. So what I learned the hard way is that you first have to re-install the original vanilla 2.1 Google Android ROM and then install Cyanogen's stuff on top. The modified ROM that I had with the latest ERE27 was not compatible with Cyanogen and so didn't boot and gave me a very stressful afternoon.
4) Install other stuff that is mandatory - (see this) multitouch and google addons
5) Install tonnes of applications not only from Market but also from androlib.com where they have apps for rooted devices. Also installed Hebrew fonts as instructed here

Everything seems to work as it did before + I can see hebrew fonts. Supposedly this Cyanogen thingy that i have installed has a lot of other great features so i look forward to discovering what these are. For now, I managed to get a root prompt which was cool. I even got a root prompt from the PC connected the phone via USB. The command adb.exe that provides a general interface to the phone from the PC, including shell access, comes with the Android development tools that can be downloaded from Google.

I have a problem with nimbuzz (skype, gtalk, msn.. combined) not being able to connect to their server when using wi-fi, only when using 3G.

No comments:

Post a Comment