I did a couple of backups before adventuring into re-installation. In safe mode, i copied the 2 user directories of the laptop onto a remote PC and then I used clonezilla which runs a Linux from CD with few commands; enough to save the 4GB of data via ethernet (samba) to a windows PC. But that didn't really complete without errors due to some driver bug on the XP driver of the server so i did a second backup to my iPod which had 100GB of unused space.
I used the Windows7 DVDs that I bought for 30EUR as part of Microsoft's programme to upgrade everyone's Vista in 2n half 2009. Yes, i tried to first just run the upgrade but it would not allow to do that in Safe-Mode and I couldn't boot the laptop.
It felt odd to install Windows for the first time. A legal verstion that is. So now I have what everyone is so in love with - Windows 7. Glorified Vista.
Out of the box, fresh install and see below the list of all the processes that are running in this thing. Surely they all must be doing something very important. I recall being able to reduce XP to 7 pocesses and 10 or so services and everything (Office, browser, games) was running perfectly. Obviously in order to justify to people that they must buy Quad core computers with 6GB of memory and 10 terraflop graphics cards with 1GB memory, in order to run the same Office, browser and games that they were running 12 years ago on computers 1/100 the power, MS must throw tonnes of useless processes at the thing to slow the computer down. What will kill M$ eventually is not the fact they are creating need and want out of thin air (people spending a grand a year on a new PC) together with PC manufacturers but the way they are managed and the uselessness of what many employees feel about their jobs ever since around just before Bill left the scene.
| From Limor's geeky memoires |
| From Limor's geeky memoires |
| From Limor's geeky memoires |
| From Limor's geeky memoires |

No comments:
Post a Comment